Ahhhhh….water. As refreshing as it is, you can tire easily from drinking only water day in and day out. So today, I want to share some drink alternatives on the Daniel Fast.
Ok, now I must preface this by saying that I am the queen of concoctions! You will usually see me with my Contigo cup filled with either a water concoction or tea that I mixed up. Let me give you a few of my favorite combos…
1. Water, slice of citrus, and fresh mint leaves. I like a slice of lime, lemon, or orange in mine. If I order water at a restaurant, this is usually what I request. It is so minty and refreshing, much better than bottled flavored waters (and better for you). I usually find I drink more water if it is freshly flavored…so definitely a win!
2. Coconut water. OMG! Ever since I tasted Vita Coco coconut water, I am hooked! You looking for a great Gatorade or electrolyte replacement, this is it. There is so much great research on the benefits of coconut water that I will be dedicating a whole blog post soon on this beauty. Vita Coco is an excellent brand and is all the rage, and rightly so! They even have different flavors. You can find it at Costco and your well stocked grocery store…but please save some for me 🙂
3. Pina Colada. (((If you like pina colada…getting caught in the rain))) Ok…I couldn’t resist, Lol! Mix canned coconut milk, orange juice, and pineapple juice together and you are set. A little banana juice mixed in would be kick butt, too! Of course garnish your glass with a fresh pineapple or orange wedge to make it festive.
4. Sunrise surprise. Carrot juice and orange-tangerine juice, with a splash of apple juice.
5. Grape escape. Grape juice, pomegranate juice, and cranberry juice.
6. Mango cream dream. Simply Orange brand mango-orange juice, can of coconut milk, and pineapple juice.
7. Cranberry-grape spritz. A bottle of 100% grape juice with cranberry juice, apple juice, finely crushed ice, sparkling water (I like Pelligrino), and fresh mint leaves. Muddle (mash) the mint leaves in the bottle of a glass pitcher to extract the juice, pour in equal parts all the other ingredients, and garnish with a fresh mint leaf on the side.
8. Strawberry-kiwi spritz. A carton of 100% strawberry-kiwi juice (Dole), apple juice, sparkling water, finely crushed ice, fresh mint leaves. Muddle the mint leaves in bottom of glass pitcher, add juices, ice, and mint leaf for garnish.
10. Pear-apple surprise. Pear juice, apple juice, and white grape juice. Mix equal parts together and serve!
11. Strawberry apple slush. Fresh strawberries, apple juice, white grape juice, crushed fine ice. Crush stawberries and ice together in food processor or blender, and mix with equal parts apple juice and white grape juice. Garnish with a strawberry and mint leaf.
12. Orange cream dream. Tangerine-orange juice, coconut milk. Mix together and serve over ice. Garnish with orange slice.
13. Hot ginger mint tea. Fresh ginger, peppermint tea, apple juice. Slice and simmer fresh ginger. Steep peppermint tea and apple juice together for about 15 minutes. Mix in ginger tea and serve.
14. Hot cider-ginger spice tea. 2 tablespoons of Bragg’s organic apple cider vinegar, 8 oz apple juice or cider, fresh ginger tea, peppermint tea, 1 cinnamon stick. Steep fresh ginger and peppermint tea together along with cinnamon stick for 15 minutes. Add to apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Serve.
15. Grapefruit carrot apple surprise. Mix Ruby red grapefruit juice, carrot juice, and apple juice together, equal parts. Serve.
These are a few to get you started. I will add more to the list throughout the day. The key is to find flavors you like, at the ratio you like, and surprise yourself. They say necessity drives invention, and with a little imagination in an effort to get away from just plain water, you will create a crown worthy drink. Feel free to share your own, and let me know if you have any questions…