Happy Friday! I know the start of the weekend is the time where we look forward to kicking back, relaxing, and maybe munching on some of our favorite snacks. But how do we incorporate that into the Daniel Fast? I will show you how! The title of this will be “What YOU got to snack on?”
…Thanks for asking, PLENTY!
1. Popcorn. Earthfare sells organic popcorn kernels in their bulk food section (you measure out how much you want) for pretty cheap. Get you a deep skillet, melt some Nutiva organic coconut oil (best oil for high temperature cooking) on medium high, pour in a 1/2 cup or so of popcorn to cover the bottom, cover with lid, wait for it to pop, and you have some delicious popcorn. Add a little melted Earth Balance on top if you want it buttered.
2. Hummus. Earthfare sells delicious hummus in their cold case and it is sugar free! Get some celery or chips, and dip away. Which brings me to my most favorite snack…
3. Food Should Taste Good Multigrain Chips. Yep, that’s the actual name. I LOVE these chips! Best place to find a big bag of them is at Costco for around $6 or so, but Earthfare sells the smaller bags. You can use these chips to dip in hummus, salsa, guacamole, black bean dip, or any other Daniel Fast friendly dip you can find.
4. Black bean dip. Again, Earthfare sells it in their cold section by the cheeses and it is delectable, while being good for you with all that protein. Or you can make your own with the recipe on this blog.
5. Guacamole. Oh how I love me some guacamole. But for best taste experience, fresh is better. A couple of ripe avocados, tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic, fresh cilantro, lime juice, salt, black pepper, and you are on your way to a great guacamole. “Ole’.”
6. Fruit salad. Get your favorite fruits, cut them up bite size, squeeze a little lemon juice over them if they are prone to oxidize (turn brown, i..e bananas, pears, or apples), and you are good to go. I like to sprinkle a little chopped mint over it and squeeze a fresh lime or orange over it to give it pizzazz.
7. Frozen smoothie bars. Make your favorite Daniel Fast smoothie, pour in a popsicle tray, add a stick, freeze, and you have a great cool popsicle. I have a recipe I will share soon for banana mango coconut popsicle . . . YUM!
8. Crudite’. I know, fancy word, simple vegetable tray like fresh broccoli, cauliflower, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, and celery cut up on a board with other snacks, served with your favorite dip or lemon-olive oil herb dressing you shake up. To upscale it, find a good herb infused olive oil, puree with some grilled red peppers, and have at it. I will post a few of my recipe ideas soon. . .
9. French fries. What? Yep, I know, but let me explain…the one that you make yourself in the oven. I will post my delicious recipe for sea salt oven fries in a few shakes 🙂
10. Trail mix. Another one for the Daniel Fast you will have to make your own. Get some dried fruit like raisins and mix with your favorite nuts i.e. pistachios, sunflower seeds, cashews, etc. and you have a quick pick me up snack.
11. Apple slices and almond butter. Any sweet variety of apples here would work great, but I prefer Gala. You can get fresh, unsweetened, almond butter at Earthfare in their bulk food section – just press how much you want in a cup and go!
12. Almond butter oat balls. Now I saw my kids creating this one, and I was a little perturbed, but they liked it! Toast some rolled oats in Earth Balance butter, sprinkle in some cinnamon, then take scoops of almond butter (or peanut butter) and form them into small balls, then roll around in oatmeal mixture – and eat!
So see, you CAN snack while on the Daniel Fast, and keep it kosher. Just don’t be a couch potato and eat them all in one sitting 😉